Client Service Area:

Patricia Abell’s Law office is located in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.  My office serves employment law clients in the Louisville metro area, Bullitt, Marion, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, Franklin and Fayette counties.   My office serves bankruptcy clients living in the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Hardin, Jefferson, Larue, Marion, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Spencer and  Washington, This includes the cities of Cloverport, Hardinsburg, Irvington, Fox Chase, Hebron Estates, Hillview, Lebanon Junction, Mount Washington, Pioneer Village, Shepherdsville, Elizabethtown, Radcliff, Sonora, Upton, Vine Grove,  West Point, Anchorage, Audubon Park, Buechel, Goose Creek, Hurstbourne, Jeffersontown, Okolona, Prospect, Hodgenville, Bradfordsville, Lebanon, Loretto, Raywick , Brandenburg, Ekron, Muldraugh, Bardstown, Bloomfield, Fairfield , New Haven, Crestwood, Goshen, Lagrange, Pewee Valley, Taylorsville, Elk Creek, Mount Eden, Springfield.                                    
Copyright © 2012 by Patricia A. Abell, Attorney at Law.  All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer |Site Map Map & Directions | Email 

Patricia A. Abell |Attorney at Law | The Normandy Building | 101 North Seventh St. | Louisville, KY 40202 | Phone: (502)561-3455 | pabell@patriciaabell.com

Do  you have:
1. a problem employee?
      2. a possible harassment or                discrimination claim?
Do you need:
     1.  an employee handbook?
     2. help complying with FMLA,            ADA, EEO, HIPAA or FLSA laws?
     3.  non-compete,  non-disclosure,          or a non-solicitation agreement
Contact Patricia Abell (502) 561-3455 or 
Is your employer contesting your unemployment?

Have you been fired, laid off, harassed or discriminated against?

Do you think you should have been paid overtime but you were on salary?  

Frequently asked questions about filing unemployment claims in Kentucky

Contact Patricia Abell (502) 561-3455. 

Common Employment Terms
At-Will Employment                                                                                     

In Kentucky, the general rule is that the employment relationship is at-will.  At-will employment simply means that either the employer or the employee can end the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause.  The employer and employee can agree to enter into a contract changing the at-will employment relationship to a contractual employment relationship.  Also, some actions by the employer can result in inadvertently creating a contractual employment relationship.   Even when an employment is at-will, an employer must still follow all federal, state and local laws governing the employment relationship.  A few examples of the federal laws include the:  Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Equal Employment Opportunity Act Discrimination, Harassment) and The Fair Labor Standards Act.   


 All employers are required to pay into the unemployment compensation fund.  Employees who have worked long enough to meet Kentucky’s “base period” requirements and have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, are willing and able to work, and are actively seeking employment are entitled to receive unemployment compensation.  This does not mean that an employee cannot receive benefits if they were fired instead of laid off. In Kentucky, unemployment is liberally granted.  If the employee was fired, the unemployment commission conducts an initial inquiry and often a hearing to determine  their right to receive benefits.  Neither the employer nor the employee is required to have an attorney present at the hearing. However, when there are particularly unpleasant circumstances surrounding the discharge, the employer and employee often have an attorney representing them.  Also, employers who are unfamiliar with the process sometimes ask a lawyer to appear at the hearing with their representative until such time as they are comfortable handling these matters on their own. Back to Top

Unemployment Appeal Hearings  

When an employee is laid off or discharged, their employer sometimes contests their right to receive benefits.  If a decision is issued that a former employee has no right to receive unemployment compensation,  they have a right to appeal.  Appeals often result in the employee receiving benefits.  While you are not required to have a lawyer represent you at the appeals hearing, if you are not familiar with the legal process it is often a good idea to hire a lawyer to represent your interests during the hearing.  Sworn testimony is taken from each party and any witnesses at the hearing.  Documents may also be admitted into evidence by the hearing officer.  The evidence taken at the hearing  is part of the legal record and will form the basis of any subsequent appeal.  

If you are have been laid off or fired from your job, you may want to read the brochure found on Kentucky’s web site titled:  Your Rights And Responsibilities While Claiming Unemployment Insurance Benefits.  It can be found at: http://www.oet.ky.gov/des/documents/PAM-UI-400rev1-2007.pdf

Wrongful discharge/Wrongful termination.  

Even though Kentucky follows the doctrine of at-will employment, Kentucky’s Supreme Court has said that there are exceptions to the doctrine of at-will employment.   To qualify as an exception: 
1) The discharge must be contrary to a fundamental and well-defined public policy as evidenced by existing law. 
 2) That policy must be evidenced by a constitutional or statutory provision. 
 3) The decision of whether the public policy asserted meets these criteria is a question of law for the court to decide, not a question of fact.   

You should contact a lawyer, for an evaluation of your case.  Back to Top

CONTACT INFORMATION  Patricia A. Abell | Attorney at Law | The Normandy Building |
  101 North Seventh St. | Louisville, KY 40202 | (502)561-3455 |

How do I appeal an unemployment decision in Kentucky?

What can I expect at an unemployment hearing? 

How do I file an unemployment claim? 

                                  EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENTS

Are non-compete, non-disclosure 
and employment separation 
agreements enforceable?

If you are being laid off or discharged, and have been offered a severance or separation package; should you just sign the agreement or have a lawyer look at the agreement?


If you have a Kentucky unemployment hearing, a severance/separation agreement, a wage dispute (including unpaid overtime and overtime exempt status), a discrimination case, or a discharge issue, please contact Patricia Abell at  (502) 561-3455 for a confidential consultation.
I represent both  business owners & employees on 
employment issues. My practice includes litigation, in state and federal courts and before a variety of  agencies.

Personal Service and Experience at Competitive Rates.
credit card processing